Selecting initial internal clearance
The operating clearance required for a bearing to perform satisfactorily is application dependent. → Importance of selecting correct clearance/preload
You must ensure that the bearing has a minimum initial internal clearance of a size that, when it is reduced by the effects of mounting and other influences, is equal to or greater than the required minimum operating clearance.
To achieve this, follow this procedure:
- consider the reduction of clearance caused by interference fits
- consider the reduction of clearance caused by temperature difference between the shaft, bearing rings and housing
- consider the reduction of clearance due to other influences
- consider the required minimum initial internal clearance
- select the initial internal clearance range (→ Required minimum initial internal clearance and Mounting adjusted bearing arrangements)
In case of doubt, contact the SKF application engineering service for support.