V-rings are elastic and can be stretched and pushed over other components, which facilitates the installation (fig 1). When several V-rings are to be installed, a simple tool (fig 2) can be used to push the seals to their position at a predetermined distance from the counterface. V-rings can also be cut and rejoined in the field.
The general installation guidelines include the following:
- Clean the V-ring, counterface and shaft.
- Make sure that the shaft is dry and free from grease or oil, particularly when installing a V-ring without axial support.
- Lubricate the lip of the V-ring with a thin film of grease or silicone oil.
- In applications where friction must be reduced to a minimum, the counterface should be coated with a low-friction agent. Do not apply grease to the lip.
- Check that the V-ring is installed with a uniform stretch around the shaft.